The Sexiest Blog Alive

Pop Culture | Movies | Celebs | TV | Video Games | Comics | Toys | Gossip | Snark

** WE'VE MOVED TO TUMBLR! **
Visit the new Tumblr blog at HandsInTheAir.net

Thursday, January 15, 2009

R.I.P. Ricardo Montalban

I know I'm a little late on this. I started drinking Fantasy Island-style tropical drinks in tribute to Ricardo Montalban, and the next thing I know, it's Sunday.

Ricardo Montalban
Actor, Mexican fantasy-fulfiller
November 25, 1920 - January 14, 2009
Mr. Roarke won't have to fight the devil where he's going.

There have never been many Hispanical role models out there for impressionable Hispanical young'ns, though it seems back when I was a kid there were actually more in the entertainment industry than there are now. Rarer still was a Mexican role model for my little Mexican ass. It was like, him and Speedy Gonzales.

Ricardo Montalban was everything you'd want in a role model. While handsome and charming in his younger years, he aged like a fine tequila, cutting such an impressive figure that he was tapped to play a genetically superior superman who conquered a fair amount of the Earth and the similarly superhuman owner of a magical island who can grant wishes to his guests (for a price, momma didn't raise no fool--though I swear he gave the money back a lot to the more "deserving" guests or maybe I'm remembering wrong). And he was pretty damn believable in both roles.

Adios, Senor (Senior, Senior)!

No comments: