The Sexiest Blog Alive

Pop Culture | Movies | Celebs | TV | Video Games | Comics | Toys | Gossip | Snark

** WE'VE MOVED TO TUMBLR! **
Visit the new Tumblr blog at HandsInTheAir.net

Friday, July 25, 2008

Comic-Con Night 1 - The Lost Boys 2 World Premiere

If you know me at all, then you know there are three things I like: puppy dogs, receiving a not-guilty ruling, and The Lost Boys. You'd also know that there's a fourth thing, which is that I lie, but I actually am a fan of the 21-year-old cultish vamp-camp flick, The Lost Boys. Last Thursday night, Comic-Con hosted the world premiere of the long-awaited sequel, Lost Boys: The Tribe, and the movie is actually very faithful in spirit to the original without the cheesy direction of Joel Schumacher. I give it a rousing "surprisingly not that crappy" review (I'm no Roger Ebert, but I think my endorsement is way more descriptive than a thumb) and I recommend that you secretly open your neighbor/coworker's outgoing Netflix mail to see if maybe they rented it and if you could sneak a screening before it gets sent back.

Corey Feldman, in full-on non-ironic rock star mode, introduced the film along with the sequel's director PJ Pesce. I think that's Italian for pajama fish.

The straight-to-DVD movie offers some genuine laughs, cheap thrills, way more gore and nudity than the '80s movie and several winky-wink nods to the original. It's just dumb fun. Plus, it costars Corey Feldman reprising his role as Edgar Frog and it boasts cameos by the original's stars, Corey Haim along with that one dude who played the other Frog brother. This time around, the story is about a recently orphaned brother and sister who move to Luna Bay, where they cross paths with the local surfing vampire rebel teens. Instead of being led by Kiefer Sutherland, the new Drac pack is helmed by Angus Sutherland, who's Kiefer's half-brother with a half-as-cool first name.

The movie's stars, Autumn Reeser, Angus Sutherland and Tad Hilgenbrinck. I actually felt just a tad hilgenbrinck'd after watching the premiere.

After the screening, Jamison Newlander and Corey Feldman fielded audience questions in character and in costume as the Frog Brothers. They both deny the existence of a "Corey Haim."

After they gave me free vampire fangs, I felt obligated to promote their movie.

That vampire dude is totally checking out her neck.

I have a theory that Hollywood needs to keep the two Coreys employed because if it doesn't, they'll occupy themselves with something stoopid that'll kill them and the movie industry will have blood on its hands. The same theory holds for Martin Lawrence (which explains the existence of Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins and College Road Trip). Thank you Hollywood for keeping the Coreys alive and I look forward to the License to Drive sequel with a guest appearance by Martin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got a kick out of Feldman and Newlander coming out as THE FROG BROTHERS, that is what the movie should have been, not a sequel but a spin off where THE FROG BROTHERS save the world from Vampires. I would have dug the heck out of that.