The Sexiest Blog Alive

Pop Culture | Movies | Celebs | TV | Video Games | Comics | Toys | Gossip | Snark

** WE'VE MOVED TO TUMBLR! **
Visit the new Tumblr blog at HandsInTheAir.net

Saturday, December 23, 2006

R.I.P. Tower Records

Tower Records stores have officially closed their doors forever. Worldwide, there have been three mammoth chains of deep-catalog CD stores (Tower Records, HMV and the Virgin Megastore; "CD stores" that also have washing machine departments don't count), and Tower was always the dumpiest of the bunch. But that's probably what gave the store its rock-'n'-roll cred. And while HMV, Virgin and local chains like California's Amoeba Records or Seattle's Easy Street Records will fill the void for music fans, Tower Records and its awful ketchup-and-mustard logo will be sorely missed.
Tower Records
1960 - 2006Merry Christmas! I just bought your gift for $2,
but I'm keeping the $18.99 price tags on them so you think I care 90% more!

Since October, Tower has been clearing out its stock. First, the stores marked inventory down by 10%, then 20%, then 30%. In the past few days, all CD prices took a nosedive to 80% off until the final days when all CDs were $2 or less.

It's staggering how picked-over the store was in its final days on life support. Pretty much every CD or DVD you've remotely heard of was gone from the shelves. Sadly, I don't think I've ever bought as many CDs than I did during Tower's final months of close-out prices. I can't resist a bargain. Never before have I been so excited to buy CDs by bands I'm only mildly excited about.

This past Thursday, I visited the store on Sunset Boulevard (pictured above) in West Hollywood for cheapie Christmas gifts, and there was really nothing left over that was worth buying. Seriously, who knew Tower carried so many whale song CDs or Spanish-language DVDs? If you know any Mexican sailors, I've got a gift bag I can sell you.


Special contest! If you're the first commenter to identify all 5 CDs Jason is holding in the photo, you'll get mentioned in our sidebar. That's the best prize I can give you after buying too many unspectacular CDs for spectacular prices.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Radiohead- Ok Computer
Gorillaz- Demon Days
Franz Ferdinand- You Could Have It So Much Better

umm...

Unknown said...

Gorillaz - Demon Days
death cab for cutie - Plans
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
Radiohead - O.K. Computer

whoo-hoo, i win!

Jason said...

And we have a winner. Nice going, Jean! Fame shall soon be yours with a mention in our sidebar...